Here’s what’s new for home viewing on video on demand, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and other streaming services.
TOP STREAMS FOR THE WEEK
• “Avengers: Endgame” (2019, PG-13) brings practically every superhero of the Marvel big screen universe to save the universe and bring the second phase of the interconnected stories to a close. It’s now the highest grossing movie of all time. For all of its sprawling spectacle, it also features quiet moments and even a little humor. On cable on demand, VOD and DVD, and at Redbox.
• Elizabeth McGovern is “The Chaperone” (2018, not rated) to young Louise Brooks (Haley Lu Richardson) in early 1920s New York City. The proper society woman from Kansas collides with the free-spirited teenage dance student (and future movie icon) while embarking on her own personal journey. “Downton Abbey” creator Julian Fellowes scripts the big screen drama produced by PBS. Streaming on PBS Passport and PBS Masterpiece on Prime Video Channels.
• “Diagnosis” develops the medical column written by Dr. Lisa Sanders for the New York Times into a nonfiction series that reaches out to readers to help diagnose patients with unusual symptoms. Seven episodes on Netflix starting Friday.
• The second season the Netflix series “Mindhunter” sends the agents (Jonathan Groff and Holt McCallany) of the newly formed FBI Behavioral Science Unit to investigate the Atlanta child murders of 1979-1981. Starts streaming Friday.
• Hulu is now streaming the first season of the vampire comedy “What We Do in the Shadows,” a spinoff of Taika Waititi’s cult movie set in Staten Island, and the limited series “Trust,” based on the kidnapping of John Paul Getty III and starring Hillary Swank, Brendan Fraser and Donald Sutherland as J. Paul Getty.
• Foreign language pick: The limited series “Our Boys” (Israel, with subtitles) dramatizes the investigation of the real-life murders of three Jewish teenagers that sparked the 2014 Israel-Gaza war. New episodes on HBO each Monday.
PAY PER VIEW/ VIDEO ON DEMAND
• Two takes on literary legends: Kenneth Branagh is William Shakespeare in his later years in “All Is True” (2019, PG-13), co-starring Judi Dench and Ian McKellan; and Molly Shannon is Emily Dickinson in the comedy “Wild Nights with Emily” (2018, PG-13).
• Marlon Wayans plays “Sextuplets” (2019, not rated) separated at birth in the new Netflix original film; starts streaming Friday.
• Streaming TV: “Tiffany Haddish Presents They Ready: Season 1” showcases new comedians, and the science fiction drama “Better Than Us” (Russia, with subtitles) is the first Netflix original series from Russia.
AMAZON PRIME VIDEO
• Ritesh Batra (“The Lunchbox”) directs “Photograph” (India, 2019, PG-13, with subtitles), a romantic comedy set in modern-day Mumbai.
• Jason Momoa is the Prince of Atlantis in “Aquaman” (2018, PG-13), a fantastical superhero epic set under the sea.
NEW ON DISC
• “Avengers: Endgame,” “Wild Nights with Emily,” “All Is True,” “Red Joan,” “Trial by Fire.”
• “Avengers: Endgame,” “Trial by Fire.”
• Sean Axmaker is a Seattle film critic and writer. His reviews of streaming movies and TV can be found at streamondemandathome.com.