On the evening of Sept. 13th, the Howard County Sheriff’s Office will conduct a multi-jurisdictional enforcement checkpoint targeting impaired drivers in Howard County.
After the checkpoint, officers will conduct roving saturation patrols aggressively seeking impaired drivers. The purpose of sobriety checkpoints is to remove impaired drivers from Indiana roadways before they cause needless pain, suffering, or death to innocent victims through deterrence and detection efforts.
Safety reminders for motorists:
• Plan ahead and always designate a sober driver before consuming alcohol.
• Don’t drive a vehicle if you’ve been drinking alcohol. Call a taxi or sober friend. A cab ride is cheaper than a D.U.I. arrest.
• Take care of your friends. Never let a friend drive while impaired. Take their keys.
• If you are hosting a party, always offer non-alcoholic beverages. Make sure all of your guests leave with a sober driver.
• Never provide alcohol to anyone under the legal drinking age of 21.
Motorists are encouraged to report suspected impaired drivers by calling 911. Give a vehicle description, location, and direction of travel. Never follow an impaired driver.