You are the owner of this article.

Family reunion: After being put up for adoption in 1985, Dallas Kay finally meets his birth mother, father, siblings

After being put up for adoption in 1985, Dallas Kay finally meets his birth mother, father, siblings

  • 4 min to read
Dallas Kay

REKINDLING — (Left) Dallas Kay stands with his biological family, (left to right) father Brian Anderson, brother Devin Anderson, mother Teresa Blueitt, and sister Lakeshia Blueitt.

In 1985, at the age of 19, Teresa Blueitt faced one of the hardest decisions of her life.

She was recently single, the mother of a 1-year-old son, and living in Kokomo when she found out she was pregnant. Questions swirled in her mind surrounding the possibility of raising a second child, from the financial aspects to the impact another child would have on her desire to pursue higher education and the situation it would create with the unborn child’s father, who also had fathered her 1-year-old.

“It was about the responsibility of raising two kids and me going on to do some of the things I planned to do, such as go to school and take care of the son I already had to give him all that I could,” said Blueitt. “Not that I didn’t want that for Dallas at the time. It was more about if I could put him in a situation to hopefully get what I was trying to give my first son without having to deprive either. That’s what I wanted to do. That’s what it set out to be.”

She decided to continue the pregnancy and gave birth to a baby boy on Aug. 25, 1985, with adoption proceedings already underway. Two days later, the boy and Blueitt’s paths diverged, never to see each other again for 34 years.

“I gave birth. I signed the papers. I went home, and that was it,” said Blueitt.

The child was put under the care of an intermediary family, an Amish family in Howard County, before he was adopted by a Terre Haute woman, Mary Kay. She settled on naming him Dallas Kay Jr., after her father. Paperwork was handed over to Kay with information relating to Blueitt and Dallas’ birth-father, Brian Anderson, which was to be handed over to Dallas when he turned 18 should he choose to seek out his birth parents.

“I never wanted to disrupt his life … I wanted the best for him and whoever was going to receive that blessing. I wanted them to have it completely. I never saw him,” said Blueitt. “I never knew anything about him. I never even looked into trying to find him because I had committed to if he wanted to meet me he would find me. I didn’t want the rejection. He didn’t want the rejection of not knowing if he would be accepted.”

Blueitt moved to Texas in 1986 to pursue her education. While there she met a man, later married him, and they had a daughter in 1991. During that time, she and her family traversed the United States due to her husband’s service in the United States Air Force before they eventually settled back in San Antonio in 1999.

All the while, she said Dallas never left her mind.

As Dallas grew up in Terre Haute, being raised by Kay alongside another adopted sister, questions also swirled. He was aware from a young age he was adopted. He said he was happy, but details concerning his birth parents remained a persistent question.

“Growing up, I’ve always known I was adopted,” said Dallas. “I was in elementary school when I was told. I’ve never wanted for anything. I had a really good life and a great mom. You don’t know the details about the adoption, but as you get older you read stories and watch movies, so you wonder if that’s what happened to me. I’ve always wondered, but I didn’t know the details behind it.”

He eventually received the paperwork relating to his adoption but glossed over the fact that his birth parents’ names were right there on the documents. He shelved the adoption papers but returned to them years later at the behest of his wife. When he looked at the paperwork again, he realized his birth-parents’ names were there.

A quick Google and social media search showed that despite Blueitt’s travels, their paths soon could intersect again.

While Blueitt now lived in San Antonio, Dallas’ wife’s family lived in Houston, and he too lived there for a time. As it turned out, he and his family soon would need to travel from their home in Indianapolis to Texas again to help with his wife’s ailing father.

So, Dallas attempted to connect.

He messaged his birth mother and biological father via Facebook Messenger, but those messages went unanswered. He then tried his older brother, Devin Anderson.

A few days later, with a message starting with “Please do not delete, read the message, I am your biological brother,” Dallas’ brother responded. Unbeknown to Dallas, his biological parents didn’t see the messages due to them not having Facebook Messenger downloaded on their phones.

So, Dallas and Devin began communicating, and eventually Devin told their mother that her second-born son wanted to make contact.

On Dec. 30, Blueitt heard the voice of the son she gave up for adoption for the first time when he called her.

When that fateful call began, Blueitt immediately was struck by her son’s voice, which sounded remarkably like Devin’s. And almost right away, Dallas called her “mom.” Answers and questions flowed both ways.

“We talked about that ultimate question, the ‘why.’ There were a few whys. Why the decision and why now did he choose to look for us,” said Blueitt. “I asked him upfront, ‘I just need to know … how was your life?’ He said, ‘Mom, I had a great life. That was enough for me. That sealed for me what God told me some 33 years later that he was going to take care of him. He said, ‘I come with no grudges, no hard feelings. I just want to know my family.’”

That same day, they chose to meet for the first time, with Dallas, his wife, and their two children driving from Houston to San Antonio to meet Blueitt, Devin, Blueitt’s daughter Lakeshia, and Dallas’ biological father, who, despite still residing in Kokomo, was in Texas for the holidays.

Hugs were exchanged, time was spent together, and interesting details of their lives were shared. Oddly enough, Dallas and Devin were closer at points in their lives than they could have imagined. Twice, the brothers worked just across the street from each other but had never crossed paths.

“That was crazy,” said Dallas. “I probably saw him somewhere.”

On Aug. 25, the Kokomo-natives returned to the City of Firsts so Blueitt could throw Dallas a 34th birthday, one they could celebrate together for the first time.

With a coinciding family wedding occurring, Dallas was introduced to many of his extended family members, and he hopes to continue to get to know his birth family.

“Now we get to hopefully spend the rest of our days together and loving on each other,” said Dallas.