Due to extreme heat forecast for the next few days, the City of Kokomo will open a cooling station at the Senior Citizens Center, located at 721 W. Superior St. The center will be open the July 18 to 20.
The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) says the number one way to prevent heat-related illness of death is to remain in an air-conditioned home or building.
Everyone should take these steps to prevent heat-related illnesses, injuries, and deaths during hot weather:
- Stay in an air-conditioned indoor location as much as you can.
- Drink plenty of fluids even if you don’t feel thirsty.
- Schedule outdoor activities carefully.
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing and sunscreen.
- Pace yourself.
- Take cool showers or baths to cool down.
- Check on a friend or neighbor and have someone do the same for you.
- Never leave children or pets in cars.
In the event of an emergency call 911.
For additional information call City Hall at 765-456-7444.