featured

Prevent the hazard of overloaded electrical circuits

  • 1 min to read
electrical circuits

A home is a safe haven for its residents.

Safety at home is something that can be taken for granted until it’s too late. The National Fire Protection Association notes that each year more than 47,000 home fires in the United States are caused by electrical failure or malfunction.

Overloaded electrical circuits are a frequent culprit in residential fires. Fortunately, overloaded circuits are preventable. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, the following are some potential indicators that circuits are overloaded.

• Flickering, blinking or dimming lights

• Frequently tripped circuit breakers or blown fuses

• Warm or discolored wall plates

• Cracking, sizzling or buzzing from receptacles

• Burning odor coming from receptacles or wall switches

• Mild shock or tingle from appliances, receptacles or switches.

Learning to recognize the signs of overloaded circuits is an important step in making homes safe, as the NFPA noted that home fires contribute to hundreds of deaths and more than 1,500 injuries each year. Such fires also hit homeowners in their pocketbooks, causing an estimated $1.4 billion in property damage annually.

Prevention is another key component when safeguarding a home and its residents from fires sparked by electrical failures of malfunctions. The ESFI offers the following tips to prevent electrical overloads.

• Never use extension cords or multi-outlet converters for appliances.

• All major appliances should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Only one heat-producing appliance should be plugged into a receptacle outlet at any given time.

• Consider adding new outlets to your home. Heavy reliance on extension cords indicates that your home does not have enough outlets.