New Castle, IN (Sept. 12, 2014) – Miami Correctional Facility’s Lt. Jake Kieninger was recently awarded the Skill-Based Trainer of the Year at the Indiana Department of Correction’s (IDOC) 2014 Statewide Trainers’ Conference held at the IDOC Correctional Training Institute last week.
Training staff from the IDOC and GEO attended the conference. Kieninger, who was hired at MCF in November 2001, received his award during the Commissioner’s Awards Luncheon Sept. 4. Kieninger was promoted to Sergeant in 2011 and to Lieutenant in February 2014. He is qualified as a Master Firearms Instructor for the state and most recently worked as a coordinator for out-of-facility trips. Kieninger was one of the first officers to be trained in the Glock Handgun program. He became a Firearms Instructor as an officer in 2008. He has been a housing sergeant for both night and day shifts and worked as the assistant armorer.
The theme of the conference was “Building Bridges to Fulfillment.” Speakers for the conference included: Superintendent Laurie Johnson from IREF, who opened the conference as the Keynote Speaker; IDOC Commissioner Bruce Lemmon, who addressed the conference and thanked training staff for all their work and contributions over the past year; and Staff Development & Training Executive Director Nancy Riley, who delivered the opening address at the awards luncheon.
Over 60 trainers and support staff attended the events, which included interactive teambuilding exercises and networking opportunities. Trainers explored contemporary and cutting edge “breakout sessions” such as “Building Bridges with Staff”, “Advance Presentation Skills”, “Time Management”, “Presenting to a New Generation”, and created four new Focus Groups. All trainers also completed the “From Corrections to Fatigue to Fulfillment” class.
Other Award-winning trainers include:
• Christine Scott (Westville Correctional Facility) and Shirley Hoover (Rockville Correctional Facility) received the Co-Training Support Staff of the Year Award
• Elizabeth Johnson (Central Office) Adjunct Trainer of the Year
• Jamie Fitch (Staff Development and Training) Rising Star of the Year
• Chaun Meagher (Logansport Juvenile Correctional Facility) Correctional Trainer of the Year
• Jeff Vermillion (Plainfield Correctional Facility) Correctional Training Supervisor of the Year
• Pendleton Training Complex was the recipient of the Training Facility of the Year